The Hotchkiss SchoolLocation: Lakeville, CT 06039 Document ID: AF170-00SB Posted on: 2021-04-2604/26/2021 Job Type: Regular
Minimum Education: Bachelors2021-05-26
Children's Center Director
The Cynthia White Children’s Center (CWCC) Director leads a team of early childhood educators to create and implement high-quality programming while managing the center’s daily operations. The Director builds strong partnerships with families to nurture each child’s healthy development. They are committed to creating an inclusive environment where each child can have a sense of belonging and the opportunity to thrive in meaningful ways.
The Children’s Center operates on the campus of The Hotchkiss School and was originally established to primarily serve the faculty and staff of the School, with a portion of the enrollment offered to the public. The Director is responsible for the development and management of the center’s annual operating budget in consultation with the Chief Financial Officer, ensuring that expenditures and resourcing are fiscally appropriate and support the best interests of The Hotchkiss School and the Center’s enrolled children.
The Director successfully balances a variety of responsibilities, from daily operations and staff supervision, to program planning and development, while cultivating positive relationships with children and their families.
The School is eager to accept applications from individuals who are excited to support an inclusive and warm working and learning environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Team Leadership and Program Development
- Attract, develop and retain a team of “best in class” educators to be passionate and committed professionals;
- Work cooperatively with staff to establish effective and healthy team dynamics;
- Ensure all staff participate in ongoing professional development to implement early childhood programming that inspires the healthy development of the children;
- Ensure that the curriculum and activities align with the Hotchkiss mission, promoting values of diversity and inclusion;
- Oversee Lead Teachers’ planning and implementation of curriculum and themes displayed;
- Oversee Assistant Teachers’ coordination of enrichment activities, ensuring that themes and skills taught align with the curriculum;
- Supervise and participate in outdoor and indoor play and activities;
- Coordinate child assessments and parent conferences at least twice per year;
- Oversee student observation guidelines and processes to ensure staff appropriately report ongoing development, communicating about the general well-being and progress of each child to their parent/guardian;
- Be aware of and appropriately communicate about possible illness, maintaining staff, child, & parent/guardian confidentiality.
Operations and Compliance
- Effectively communicate with both the CFO and Associate Head of School when deliberating enrollment strategies and supporting internal Hotchkiss community needs;
- Work closely with the CFO on the development and management of the center’s annual operating budget, ensuring that expenditures and resourcing are fiscally appropriate;
- Partner with Human Resources to develop and implement a staffing strategy that supports the approved budget and enrollment;
- Manage enrollment, processing of applications and accounting related to tuition payments;
- Ensure classrooms are equipped with the materials that children need to learn, to explore their interests, and to express their creativity;
- Oversee the Center’s purchasing needs of all supplies and equipment while maintaining an inventory of the same;
- Evaluate and develop CWCC procedures and policies, guided by both Hotchkiss policies and procedures as well as those mandated under State of CT licensure, including local and state health and safety codes;
- Maintain all applicable documentation required for State of CT licensure and inspection;
- Accurately and confidentially manage required record keeping of medical, informational, emergency contact, and consent-for-treatment forms on each attending child while complying with state guidelines;
- Be cognizant of insurance policies and liabilities as they relate to the Center;
- Ensure proper supervision and delegation of responsibilities, ensuring the care and safety of children at all times during any approved absence;
- Perform other related duties as assigned or needed to maintain a safe learning environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Development required, Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum of 3-5 years as a director or leadership role (such as assistant director) in a licensed daycare or preschool setting. Experience at the director level preferred.
- State of CT certified Day Care Director or willingness to complete course certification prior to employment.
- Certification in First Aid and CPR required, renewed annually.
- Working knowledge of early childhood development programs, methods, materials, and practices used in early child care educational settings, required.
- Experience with implementing safety practices and procedures in a daycare setting preferred.
- Experience with CT state licensure requirements preferred.
- Computer skills with the ability to use Excel and Word and Google Suite applications
- Possess the emergency response acumen to decisively handle emergency situations.
- Ability to maintain an environment of cheerfulness and security for children entrusted to the Center.
- Understand judicious use of authority within the program.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills: diplomacy and tact and the ability to work effectively with parents/guardians and staff within a diverse school community.
- Demonstrated strong organizational skills for prioritizing, multi-tasking and functioning under a variety of deadlines, with an attention to detail.
- Able to maintain a professional demeanor: adept at external and internal customer service.
- Desire and ability to demonstrate flexibility and patience.
- Ability to prepare accurate reports from various statistical or other detailed information.
- Possess the ability to effectively direct, instruct, schedule, supervise, and evaluate the work of CWCC staff.
- Be a Team player: ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- While performing the duties of this job, the Director and CWCC staff are frequently required to walk, run (when needed to supervise children), stand, sit, squat, reach, talk and hear.
- Must be able to occasionally climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Must be able to frequently lift and/or move 20-25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move 35-50 pounds carrying children.
- Must be able to push a stroller and take long walks.
- Must be able to remain patient and effective with frequent interruptions.
- Must be able to change diapers, feed, and/or clean children and assist children in using the restroom. Children are newborn up through preschool age.
- The Hotchkiss School is a tobacco-free environment.
The essential functions and basic skills have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This position description is subject to change at any time.
The Hotchkiss School is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to basing judgments concerning the employment of individuals upon their qualifications and abilities. The School is firmly committed to equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and applicants in all phases of the employment process (including recruitment, hiring, assignment, terms and conditions of employment, compensation, benefits, training, promotion, transfer, discipline and termination).
In accordance with applicable law, the School does not discriminate against any individual based on age, ancestry, color, genetic information, learning disability, marital status, past or present history of mental disability, national origin, physical disability, race, religious creed, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic.
Department: Cynthia White Children’s Center (CWCC)
Designation: Full time staff, academic year
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer